CIAT is recognised as the UK Competent Authority for Chartered Architectural Technologists. The functions of a Competent Authority are to:
- Receive and consider applications and make decisions on the competence of the person applying to work as a Chartered Architectural Technologist
- Work in close collaboration with competent authorities of other EU members states
- Provide assistance to competent authorities of other EU member states
- Ensure confidentiality of information exchanged
- Act as a contact point for the regulated profession and
- Provide information and advice to citizens regarding recognition of the professional qualification and associated legislation.