Justin Kelly MCIAT- ‘The multitasker’
Introduction to Justin
Justin Kelly is one of nine partners at bptw partnership, an award winning CIAT Registered design-led architectural practice based in Greenwich, London.
Justin acts as the lead Architectural Technologist. He is both a Member of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists and a Chartered Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Since joining bptw in 2002, he has led many successful large scale residential and mixed use projects up to planning and through to completion.
Justin manages a large team of bptw’s Architects and Architectural Technologists and, over the years, through successful project delivery, has developed excellent relationships with many of bptw’s contractor and developer clients.
Having previously lived and worked in Rotterdam, Justin has gained experience on various residential led developments in both Rotterdam and Amsterdam and completed a Diploma in Sustainable Urban Design from the International Institute for the Urban Environment in Delft, the Netherlands.
Since 2009 Justin has been an examiner at the Architects Registration Board. He is also currently the Secretary at the RIBA South East London Society of Architects (SELSA) Branch and a Professional Interview Assessor for CIAT.
Additionally, Justin is actively involved in business development, management and recruitment strategies within bptw. He is regularly involved in internal and external communications ranging from office wide presentations, staff updates, client and public design presentations, OJEU bid presentations and interviews to formal presentations at Planning Committees.
Current job role and associated functions
Justin takes an active design role and strategic overview of projects, managing design teams and ensuring overall responsibility for bptw’s delivery.
Key functions include:
- Co-ordinating bid responses
- Conducting presentations, both internally and externally
- Sourcing and securing new work
- Agreeing and reviewing appointment and fees
- Strategic overview of projects
- Overseeing project resources and programme
- Management of internal Associate led design teams
- Making recommendations on appointment of other consultants
- Ensuring scope of appointments match the required outputs and expectations of bptw’s clients
- Leading on understanding and meeting design codes and standards such as NHBC, LHDG etc
- Monitoring progress of the design process and ensuring other consultants understand key deliverables
- Arranging performance feedback with clients
Following attaining a degree in Architectural Technology at DIT Bolton Street in Dublin, Justin decided to further his career by making a move to Liverpool to study Architecture. As his career progressed Justin first became a Chartered Architect then a Chartered Architectural Technologist. He is extremely proud to hold Chartered status for both disciplines and feels that his training as a technologist sets him up with key technical and design skills, along with a strong disciplined and methodical approach that has enabled him to become successful in both design and business.
How Justin has benefited from the Institute
Justin has found that being connected to CIAT and receiving various news updates is a benefit. Since successfully completing the professional interview Justin has now become a Professional Interview Assessor for CIAT.
• 2015 – present: Professional Interview Assessor – CIAT
• 2013 – present: Partner at bptw partnership
• 2013 – present: Secretary – RIBA SELSA
• 2009 – present: Examiner – ARB
• 2004 – Fully ARB qualified Architect
• 2004 – Chartered Member of RIBA